Friday, April 15, 2011

From the Streets - The Battle of Somme

It all started on July 1st, 1916. It was a war in which men were getting killed all of the time and symbolized the gruesome tactics in the war; and I sat in the middle of it. The horror of sitting, waiting. Not knowing when my next meal would come, not knowing if I would make it to my next meal. Constant terror. 20,000 British troops were killed on the first day and nearly another 40,000 were taken prisoner or so badly wounded that they were unfit for service the next day. We were scared. Gun shots, bullets soaring over my head, huddling together with the rats and sickness, living in the unlivable shelter of a trench. Both the French and the British cowered together, for the Germans were watching. A French and British victory gaining land and momentum, the Battle of Somme.

No comments:

Post a Comment