Friday, April 15, 2011

Letter to Editor

Dear Editor,

You do not understand. You think you can imagine and empathize with what I have gone through, but you can't; you have no idea. I spent years worrying about my dad when he faught at war. I spent sleepless nights, churning in my bed imagining him lying with the disease and the rats in his cold dreary trench. I spent years with nothing but a picture of my own father, praying that he would return home. And when he didn't, when I found out he valiantly died in the war, I was crushed. You do not understand. So do not pretend like you do. You live in a dream, not reality.

Reality stands. The reality is that the majority of children are spending days home alone because their father is away at war or dead and their mother is working in the factories. The reality is that the propaganda is still everywhere. The reality is that over 21 million people were killed or injured in World War I; in many cases, all of the men in one family were killed. The reality is that I am not alone. But every story is different, so don't pretend like you understand.

Caroline B. Anton

No comments:

Post a Comment